I have never been one for celebrating the move from one year to the next. It is just a diary change for me. When I was younger I would often spend the 31 December thinking about the worst parts of the year and becoming quite down. So from a young age I stopped joining in with the New Year’s Eve thing and instead aim focusing on the positive. This was the situation for years, and the years when my life was relatively stable.
Like many, I have had some difficult and life changing events during the past 12 months. I now see my life as before 2022 and after 2022. This past 12 months has become a marking point what was before and what comes after. But in the spirit of keeping my mind on the positive elements here are 10 things I have discovered this year.
- I am stronger than I think. After years working in the police I thought I was quite resilient and this year I realised that I am personally as well as professionally resilient.
- If you want to do something then do it. Don’t waste time in pontificating or discussing things. Instead focus on taking action.
- Life is not to be taken for granted. No-one knows what is around the corner so stop and take a look around you.
- You need to manage social media rather than let social media manage you. I have received amazing support through social media this year but I also need to know when to switch it off for my own wellbeing.
- Love what you do because it will never feel like a chore. At some of the darkest times it was being able to bury myself in a job I love that helped me through.
- Be comfortable with yourself. I spend more time with me than anyone else so I need to be able to deal with that.
- If you need help reach out because there are always people who will be there to help. Reaching out takes strength and is not a sign of weakness. A kind word can be all someone needs.
- Don’t get frustrated by things that happen around you, see what you can do to make a difference or bring about a change.
- Believe in yourself. With commitment, hard work, focus and determination you can achieve anything. I truly believe that the right mindset is essential to life.
- You are precious. There is only one of you and that is special. Be yourself and don’t let others dull your sparkle.
I hope those who are celebrating tonight have a lovely evening. For others who like me will be curled up asleep when the clock strikes midnight, remember that tomorrow is just another day. You can make it what you want it to be and do it your way in your own time.
Happy New Year.