I have reached the milestone of being 45 years old today, and it is something I can’t quite believe. In my head I am still facing teenage struggles, wondering what life had in front of me and trying to prepare myself for the world of work. Suddenly I look up and realise that I have come quite a way, achieved quite a lot and above all I have learnt a few things.
There are five key things that I have learnt and that I believe are important to remember in the days, weeks and months ahead.
- Make the most of what you have – too often we are looking for something else, hoping that we can afford to buy something we want and it is all about focusing on what we don’t have. It is important to change your perspective and look at what you do have.
- Be grateful – you will have more than you realise. We take so much for granted and rarely stop to be thankful for the abundance we have in our lives. It is important to spend time being grateful for things that happen, people, events, things or whatever makes you smile and feel happy.
- Think of others – stop focusing on yourself and make sure you are having a positive impact on other people. Everyone is facing their own battles and most of these are unseen. Take time to consider other people and their challenges. Many times you can help in some way or make a difference.
- Be kind to yourself – it is something I struggle to do. I get so busy with the daily events and pressures that I don’t spend any time thinking about myself and what I need to keep functioning. It is important to love yourself and take care of yourself to be able to continue doing everything you want to.
- Live every second – simple one this but so important. We never know what is around the corner, the challenges we may face, the change in circumstances we might have or events that may befall. It is essential to make the most of every day, see the joy and grab the happiness.
The 45 years have had their ups and downs. There have been happy times and sad times. I now have a much happier and more positive attitude to really make the most of hopefully the 45 years ahead of me.